Wednesday 24 March 2010

A commission of sorts, but no sewing…

I haven’t had any time to do any sewing recently, or knitting, painting, gardening, but this time it’s a good thing. You see, I was contacted out of the blue by someone wanting to buy one of my plates, this one to be precise:

IMG_38182

Unfortunately this work was made for an installation and has been in storage ever since. When I went to retrieve said plate it was badly cracked so I offered to make the chap one of his very own.

These plates are one-offs and are very hard to make, so that’s what I’ve been doing for the last two weeks. It’s very exciting, because I’ve had to move into the workshop early (we’re still at the painting stage because my hurt shoulder means I can’t do too much) but this is what I want to do with my life.

This is the plan:

  1. Build workshop
  2. Make work
  3. Sell work
  4. Give up part of day job
  5. Sell more work
  6. Give up rest of day job
  7. Become millionaire

Number 1 isn’t finished yet but number 2 seems promising. Really, I’ve made The Plan much more vague than it actually is for comic effect, and I know it’s not going to be easy – I think the only way I’ll get to number 7 is to get really good at monopoly. My art degree had a large business component and my tutor would never forgive me if that was as detailed as the plan gets!

Having said that, when people ask I always tell them number 1 closely followed by number 7 and then pull a funny face.

But all comedy aside, it feels like something is happening and that makes me happy. If you’d like to see some more of my ceramics head over to my website and let me know what you think.

Beccy

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! How exciting! I am so happy for you.

    I cruised the ceramics sites ages ago; my favorites are the deconstructed dishes Art/Craft and the Canna series. Seriously adore the porcelain gourds.

    Again, Congrats on the commission!

    ReplyDelete