Monday 25 January 2010

Vintage sewing goodies…

Untitled-2

As well as hunting out old knitting patterns, I also have a soft spot for sewing patterns too – especially those from the 50’s and 60’s.

Untitled-8Untitled-9

I’m hugely inspired by Mena at The Sew Weekly – she’s making a dress a week (!) so you’ve really got to click on the link to see what she’s made so far. She even tells you which pattern she used and where she got the fabric from – what a sweetie! A lot of her patterns are vintage 40’s which I’d love to buy but all the really nice ones are waaaay out of my price range.

Untitled-1Untitled-6

I picked these up in charity shops and on Ebay, but I’m always on the hunt. If they are already cut, I’ll use them as is, but if not, I’m going to have to get me some tracing paper – who could cut these?

Untitled-7Untitled-5

Every so often I pick up a 70’s pattern too, if I like it – I want to make that coat, and I’m a sucker for yoked dresses.

Untitled-11

And if I’m lucky, I find a real gem like this Young Designers Mary Quant. I got this for a few pence in a charity shop.

All I need now are a few dozen yards of double knit poly and I’m away!

Beccy

4 comments:

  1. Awesome. I really like the illustration on Le Roy 1041

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sell vintage patterns on etsy... or at least i'm starting to :) I have about 50 or 60 that I'm trying to get sorted, pics, and listed... but if you are looking for anything in particular, let me know, i might have it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh thanks for the inspiration! My body type is kinda weird, like modern clothes do not fit me- only vintage clothes and vintage patterns seem to fit my measurements, so I too plan to redo my entire wardrobe with homemade clothes from vintage patterns. Only first I must conquer the dreaded zipper! Dun Dun DUNNNNN

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rhianna and Eli's mommy: If you'd like to post a link to your shop, that would be great - I can't find a link on your blog!

    Sewsweetstitches: Just go for it, you'll do fine (or you could always substitute for buttons!) :)

    ReplyDelete