Monday 7 September 2009

No-poo 4: The end of the affair

Right, I tried everybody, I really did. You’ve got to admit I gave it a good run. From July 7th up to yesterday I have used no shampoo at all.

I used bicarb, lemon juice, rosemary, cider vinegar – all in different proportions. I left them on for a long time, a short time, mixed them together, used them separately. Nothing worked – my hair was still greasy. Sometimes it was greasy straight after washing and I had to wash it again. Sometimes it took a few hours, but it was always greasy by the end of the day.

Heather suggested that I try using a silicone-free conditioner. I thought about making one, but I would have had to buy a lot of ingredients and it came to such a cost that I decided to go out and find one. Not so easy as it sounded  but I eventually found one. I washed my hair as normal with the bicarb then used the conditioner. It was much better, but over the day my hair still got greasy.

Harumph! The gorgeous tresses never materialised and my crowning glory looked consistently worse with no-poo rather than better.

I caved. Sorry.

I bought a shampoo that contains no silicones at least. It has rosemary and sage in it, it smells great and it’s an organicy looking green (the cynic in me says that’s all a corporate ploy, but I like green and nice smells). My hair was much better after washing. Not only that, but I felt better. I had been feeling self conscious all the time, touching my hair to check the grease levels, wishing I could pop home for a quick wash, literally keeping my head down. Feeling my hair this morning, it needs washing (surprise!) but at least it isn’t plastered to my head.

I guess I’m going to have to face the fact that I’ll never have fabulous hair. I have to wash it every day (at least if I’m leaving the house) Maybe I should have weaned my hair slowly rather than going cold turkey?

Either way, the experiment failed.

Right, I’m off to bake the today’s bread, then I’m going charity shopping.

Beccy

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel. I've tried it on and off but gave it a red hot go this year, going for six months from Australia Day. It was fine at times but since I've started washing it again this last month people have commented that my hair looks nice, what have you done? I think I was kidding myself because I wanted it to work so bad. You were brave for trying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried no poo twice, the longest stint was 6 weeks I could go two days but no longer my hair felt nice and I kept trying to convince myself, like Maggie who commented before me, it looked OK but in reality it was greasy at the crown. I now use an organic Shampoo and diluted Apple Cider Vinegar as the conditioner/rinse. Good on you for having a go!

    ReplyDelete