I managed a bit of sewing this week! In a good cause of course – no frivolous sewing for me (well not much!)
This is sewing for the project I told you about last post. My plan is to copy lines from love letters onto fabric using my shiny embroidery foot and then setting the fabric into recesses in the top of my little porcelain pots.
I’m not sure which fabric I want to use – something off-white is as far as I’ve got. I haven’t got a clue which fabrics could work so I rummaged through my stash to find different weighted fabrics to have a play with. Best way is to just have a go I always think, and this is what I came up with:
Regular thread on an old felted jumper. The bulk of the thread made it hard to get this through my machine without a fight.
Metallic thread on the left and regular on the right sewn onto dress net. Interesting but hard to get any definition.
Metallic thread on stockinette. Way too thick to get through my machine! Thought the stretchy nature of the fabric might make for interesting results. It didn’t.
Freehand writing with regular thread on synthetic silk. Doodling really. I like this one but I need a bit of practice!
I also had a go at accurately sewing my own handwriting which is frankly as hard as it sounds and didn’t give much better results:
I’m on the way but I’m not there yet!