Saturday 8 August 2009

A visit to Penny’s workshop…

Right, I should be showing you my workshop, I know. But it isn’t built yet and my current workshop is either my coffee table or the kitchen so it isn’t really worth showing. Instead I’m going to show you my friend Penny De Corte’s workshop.

I did my degree with Penny (although we’ve known each other for about 10 years) and, in the year since we finished – during which time I have been Captain Procrastinate - Penny has established herself as a Ceramic Artist Extraordinaire and set up her business, Touch Art. Mum, Elle and myself decided to drop in for a cup of tea – and to take a few photos :)

IMG_6415IMG_6418

On the shelves you can see some of her degree work and on the right is her main working area. She has great views of her garden from her workshop.

IMG_6416IMG_6417

She is currently creating these beautiful handbuilt bunnies, but her work also ranges from huge fossil-like dishes to dainty ‘pocket’ angels.

IMG_6423

The workshop has nooks and crannies filled with Interesting Things. Above is a collection of handmade stamps…

IMG_6424

…and embroidery hoops. I have no idea what she intends to use these for but you can bet your bottom dollar it isn’t embroidery!

IMG_6447

The entrance to Penny’s workshop is this sunny wooden conservatory. That blue door on the right is where she houses her kiln.

IMG_6441

The outside of Penny’s workshop is as eclectic as the inside…

IMG_6425IMG_6430

Penny used to paint these old milk churns for sale, but she remembered to keep one for herself. On the right is her gas-burning Raku kiln.

IMG_6426IMG_6427 

On the left, an old chimney pot (it’s going to be a water feature when Pen gets 5 free minutes!) and a huge metal wheel. On the right, newly made bunnies drying in the sun.

IMG_6428IMG_6429 

Test tiles recycled as garden ornaments and rusty metal hoops strung together hanging from a tree.

IMG_6434

This is Kai (I know I spelt that wrong, because it’s a part of his pedigree name – sorry Pen, correct me at will!) He’s a big, drooly softy and he follows Pen everywhere.

IMG_6431IMG_6435

The garden is full of old ceramics – some were tests, some broke during firing, and some she just can’t bear to part with :)

IMG_6436IMG_6439IMG_6452

This is Elle and mum pressed into service – you can’t descend on mass and expect to get away scot free :)

IMG_6422

This photo is Pen all over. She has clearly said something wicked, look at that cheeky grin! Mum can’t contain herself :)

Penny is a member of East Riding Artists and lives and works in Pocklington, Yorkshire. She exhibits her work in galleries as well as participating in craft fairs and selling exhibitions. If you’re in the neighbourhood, Penny’s next show is at the Triton Gallery at Sledmere House in Driffield.

You can find contact info for her here.

Go see!

Beccy

2 comments:

  1. Love the workshop! I still think you live in a fairytale :). haaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree Dana with you! Fantastik workshop

    ReplyDelete