Thursday 9 July 2009

What to do with a free junky table? Before…

As you may have read, I’m having a new workshop built in August. I can afford the build, but kitting it out is going to be a little trickier so I usually scour Freecycle and the like, as well as skips, for useful things.
IMG_6023
I work in the ceramics department at a college, and this time of year is perfect for skip-diving. Loads of things get thrown out that are perfectly useful, from all departments. I’m not sure where this came from, but it’s recently been a work bench of some description. Ok, so it’s beat-up and very junky, but look at those cute little brackets! It’s solid wood too.
There is always a down side to free things though…
 IMG_6024
You can’t tell too much from the photo, but that wooden top is covered in ugly, stained melamine. I’m going to get out a big chisel and try to scrape it off, but if I can’t do it I’ll have make a new top. No big deal, I have loads of pallets, or for a bigger top I might use floorboards. Then it’ll just be a case of getting the sander out and a lick of paint :)
I’ll keep you posted with an ‘after’ photo when it’s done.
Just a note of caution before I go, I don’t know about the rest of the world, but in the UK it is considered theft to take things from skips without permission and the police can get involved, so always ask first. I’ve never had someone say ‘no’ because, after all, you’re making more room in their skip (rather than adding stuff like everyone else does!) but it’s best to be on the safe side.
Beccy

No comments:

Post a Comment